Right now we stand about a month away from March Madness and that means that these next few weeks will be key to teams like My Hokies, Who are on the Bubble, The Kentucky Wildcats, Who are fighting for that number 1 seed category come tourney time, And probably the biggest letdown of the season thus far, The UNC Tarheels. Who are fighting for the highest seed that they can get. But before we get into March Madness we get a little treat known as Rivalry Week!! This jam-packed week of College Hoops action kicks off tonight on ESPN at 7 pm with Nova at WVU here is your week schedule of games:
- Kicking off the week the 2nd ranked Villanova Wildcats heading into the rowdiest and literally most hostile bunch of hillbillies in Morgan town,West Virginia which also has the highest acceptance out of all other D-1 schools. Nova is still in GA GA land after they got a sick reality check in DC but I like the Wildcats in this one look for a big night from Scotty Reynolds.
- The other match up has huge implications on the Big 12 with number 10 Texas traveling up north to Lawrence ,Ks to take on the top ranked Kansas Jayhawks who like Villanova have streaky feel of a loss coming up at any point. The Horns will Hook ‘Em with help from Damion James and his 29.4 pts a game.
- In the Big 10 like the hot 7th Purdue Boilermakers going in to face Tom Izzo and the recently stunned number 5 Michigan State Spartans. Without star guard Kalin Lucas the Spartans may have a bit of trouble by on their hands when E’Twaun Moore and Robbie Hummel step on to the court up in East Lansing. I really like the offense that the Boilermakers bring to the table. Look for some upsetting expressions during the white out at MSU.
- Now to the SEC Where Bruce Pearl and the 14th ranked Vols take on hated instate private school 20th ranked Vanderbilt. The Volunteers haven’t lived up to their expectations coming into this season but are still ranked in the 20 and will have a place waiting come tournament time. On the other side Vandy will try to use the home court in Nashville to their advantage and the Commodores will prevail with the help Jermaine Beal and his 31 pts a game
- 1st on Wednesday the day of the disappointments begins with UCONN taking on number 5 Syracuse who has just been ELECTRIC thus far. The Huskies have struggled severely with a record of 14- 9 nothing like the UCONN teams of the Past. THEY ARE RANKED 11TH…11TH in the Big East!!!! On the other hand Syracuse is a potential Final Four pick and are tearing it up with junior Forward, Wesley Johnson who leads his team in boards and points per game. I look for UCONN’ s miserable season to continue with a blowout in the Carrier Dome.
- In the primetime slot another dismal vs highly ranked rivalry will take place when Kyle Singler and the 9th ranked Duke Bluedevils travel into Chapel Hill to battle with the terrible North Carolina Tarheels. This rivalry is one of the fiercest in all of sports and will never disappoint no matter how bad the two teams are. Right?…. Until this year!! Duke is going to destroy the tarheels in momentum, rebounding , tempo and most of all on the scoreboard.
- West Virginia and Pittsburgh…. A brawl waiting to happen if you ask me!! The Mountaineers who host Nova earlier in the week will look to crush the longtime rival Pitt Panthers. The game will be played in Pittsburgh so there is a slight edge there but in the end as much as I hate to say it… Tho Mountaineers should have no problem with a less talented Pittsburgh Squad.
- In the SEC Tennessee looks to stick with number 3 Kentucky and Diaper Dandy John Wall who will likely be one and done after this season. The Vols have a test in Nashville that they must ACE before having a chance in Wildcat Country. I think they pass their exam earlier in the week but have an epic failure when they step foot in the arena this Saturday
Enjoy this rivalry week in College hoops it shouldn’t dissapoint!!! Peace Out 🙂